Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Figment NYC / A new secret project

Alex and I donated a couple of our linoleum prints to Figment NY, a group that I guess would be best described as an arts collective, but with more impact. The pieces went to their Groundbreaking 2011 Silent Auction.

Here is a quote from their website:

The FIGMENT Story

FIGMENT is a forum for the creation and display of participatory and interactive art by emerging artists across disciplines. FIGMENT began in July 2007 as a free, one-day participatory arts event on Governors Island in New York Harbor with over 2,600 participants. Since then, FIGMENT has grown significantly each year?in number of projects, duration, participants, volunteers, fundraising capability, exhibitions, locations, overall level of commitment and participation, and public support.


Anyway, both the pieces sold, so we're happy! Here is the page they were featured on (I like to google myself occasionally, more so recently attempting all these marketing strategies for my work) and the only thing I regret was not sending a better picture of both of the prints. It was a last minute thing that I had no idea about, and I had already taken these (to be intentionally not awesome, just to show a friend to have her choose from the two) and I had to send something A.S.A.P. - so, unfortunately the online photos don't look too great, but yes, yay, they sold, and they helped out a great organization in the public arts run by some fantastic people. (Yea, pretty sure they're burners.) Why is it that the only art organizations out there that aren't corrupt or completely lacking funding (public schools, city/state arts initiatives) are probably run by hippies or burners? Are they the only ones that genuinely care? Everything else about it seems so money driven, or like there are a few artists/galleries making all the money off of us - the ones making the work - and don't seem to otherwise do shit?

Ah well. That said, Alex (my marketing strategist/aka husband) and I are embarking on a project that will be perfect for internet googling and blogging. And I expect reader participation. It will involve a letter, and a stone, and reader enthusiasm. In the works, my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment