Saturday, March 24, 2018

DO SOMETHING

**posted this on facebook, text attached to the video below that I shared**

VIDEO: Veterans for Gun Reform

I really hope there isn't anyone on my friends list who is going to argue against gun reform and in favor of civilians being allowed to own assault rifles BUT, just in case...

Here are some American citizens who are very, extraordinarily familiar with those types of weapons. You could call most of experts, by comparison to the rest of us. And this is but a small sliver, but their opinion and input matters. Just as much as every person who marched today all over the country, and what they want matters too. This, and voting to put people in office that will fight with us and for us. It's going to take time, & you can't just sit back and wait. March. Vote. Run for office! It's happening slowly. We can do this. We can undo the things that need it. We can change things.

I have to believe this today although sometimes I feel like there's no point. Right now a lot of people are angry, and frustrated. So many people have died. Young people.

I was a sophmore in high school when Columbine happened. I had friends that fit the superficial profile of the killers from that early school shooting. I wrote articles in my school newspaper ranging and ranting agalnst the popular excuses at the time. Violent music! Video games, movies. No one blamed the NRA then. I mean, some people talked about it, (ahhemm a documentary or two... However nerdy they may have been)... But it wasn't a THING. It wasn't going to happen to us, in our school, not then. It was a freak occurrence. A tragic ticking time bomb of wrong place wrong time. Surely just a fluke. We are raising our kids JUST FINE.

And then it happened again. And again. And again. And it's been 20 years since Columbine, & we are still having the same god damn conversation and looking around at each other wondering HOW COULD THIS HAVE HAPPENED?

Again.

Listen up, people in charge. Stop dicking around, stop making excuses. Even people who are *into* guns are speaking up and we are way overdue for change. I believe in the 2nd amendment. I know how to fire a gun. I don't think guns should be illegal. I think assault rifles and guns that were made for war, not hunting animals or shooting targets, should not be made accessible to civilians. We have to find a balance. This has already gotten SO out of hand.

****

I have a lot of feelings about this, despite having been out of high school for so many years and also not having any kids of my own to worry about (yet? Maybe? Or not. Idfk.)

I had a lot to say about this subject 20 years ago too.

Jesus. I'm old a.f. guys. Really. Just wheel me to a home already, bring me bland foods and give me an oatmeal bath. Find homes for my cat army. At least I'm not single too.


No comments:

Post a Comment